Monday, July 12, 2010

DAYLE STANLEY - A CHILD OF HOLLOW TIMES


Dayle is a Joan Baez type from Boston .
She topped Broadside magazine's best of local list the year this record came out.
She would be merely a typical strident folkie,
except that Dayle decided to insert a freaky cross between a yodel
and a rolled 'r' in half her songs.
This makes her the female answer to Robbie Basho
(who is definitely one of the hottest howlers),
except that she only has two albums (this is the first one from 1963).listen "CROW ON THE CRADLE"


Track List
A1.A CHILD OF HOLLOW TIMES
A2.MOTHERLESS CHILD
A3.THE FOUNDLINGS
A4.NOBODY KNOWS THAT I HAVE A NAME
A5.ANATHEA
B1.CROW ON THE CRADLE
B2.THE HUMAN SONG
B3.SHENANDOAH
B4.THE JOLLY SENATOR
B5.HARLEM IS THE NAME OF OUR TOWN
B6.QUIET TO THE BREAST

If you arn't familiar with the american folk scene (one guitar one voice)
this is not for you!

Highly Recommended

5 comments:

  1. What a great find. I think this record still resides someplace in my parent's attic. I really should look for it and try to get it online. Many nights spent listening to this in the dark.

    I think her version of Shenandoah is the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am searching for this album and still no trace of it except for yhe very expensive lp's . Is this stuff really never digitally remastered and released on CDS
    ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, never digitally remastered and released on CD

      Delete
  3. I think I still have this in vinyl.
    Brings back memories of a very complex era.

    ReplyDelete